Adam Neidert founded The Neidert Undertaking Co. in 1881 & became licensed in 1885. He was among the earliest licensed embalmers in Missouri. The original Farmington location was located on Spring Street.
In 1913, John Neidert, Adam's son, joined the business. In 1915, the Spring Street facility was remodeled & modernized & made into a 2-story brick building. John acquired sole ownership in 1919.
John ran the funeral business as well as supervised the ambulance service for area residents. The ambulance livery was separate from the funeral livery - thus, Neiderts provided Farmingtonians with peace of mind knowing: "no ill, or injured persons need fear necessity of being carried in vehicles reserved for the dead."
The adjacent picture of the Spring St. location may look crude by today's standards but it was in its time well-appointed.
Adam, above, was founder of The Neidert Undertaking Company & one of Missouri's pioneers in the undertaking business.
John, below, was responsible for many changes & improvements in both the funeral business, as well as ambulance operations. For example, separate on-premise, sleeping quarters were maintained for ambulance drivers - so they could be instantly dispatched, day -or- nite. This was a service unequaled here in St. Francois County at that time.